Please be careful!

So suddenly it happens, the thing you dread the most. Your child has put his life in danger. Five seconds and the world turns. Five seconds and he is right in front of you but you don’t get it until it is too late.

V managed to crawl under a bench in our back garden. He found a bottle with some kind of transparent liquid and put it to his mouth and drank. The panic I felt, seeing my child coughing and crying holding this bottle in his hand. I had never seen the bottle before, I had no clue what was in it.

My head went blank, what do I do? Do I throw him into the car and drive as fast as I can or do I call someone? How much time do I have? I looked at him, trying to see what my options were. I took the bottle, read the label and smelled the liquid. I tried to make him vomit (which is the last thing you should do). I gave him milk, I don’t know why, it felt right at the time. By the time I got through to the emergency service, V had calmed down and looked quite ok. A bit shaken, but ok.

After discussing with emergency, my paediatrician, my GP, poison centre, the hospital, I decided to take him to the emergency room just in case. Even though he looked and acted  fine, I wanted to be sure. After 20 min we got to see a doctor and she did all the checks. He stayed for observation another hour and then we were ok to go. I felt completely safe when I took him home.

This was a wake up call, I still have some electrical sockets that are not plugged even though Andrea crawls and his finger fits perfectly. I have some washing stuff under the sink in the kitchen, thinking V is too old to do anything stupid. HOW WRONG I WAS. He is 2,5 years – everything is an adventure, everything is interesting.

Today I did a full security inspection of the house. I see this as a warning and I hope you do too…

Good to know

The poison centre SA: 0216895227

IF YOU SUSPECT POISON DO NOT

  • Do not give an unconscious person anything by mouth.
  • Do not induce vomiting unless you are told to do so by the Poison Control Center or a doctor. A strong poison that burns on the way down the throat will also do damage on the way back up.
  • Do not try to neutralize the poison with lemon juice or vinegar, or any other substance, unless you are told to do so by the Poison Control Center or a doctor.
  • Do not use any “cure-all” type antidote.
  • Do not wait for symptoms to develop if you suspect that someone has been poisoned.

more info 

 

Gabi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

AlphaOmega Captcha Classica  –  Enter Security Code